Why is your oil change so important?
Oil changes may seem mundane, but if your car is maintained correctly you must change your oil as it is a crucial part of your vehicle and should always be part of your recurring maintenance. The fewer surprises your car throws at you the better and Sargeant Service Center in St. Augustine, FL wants you to know just how important your oil changes are.
The oil in your engine is essentially its lifeline. It protects moving parts from rust, friction, and cleans your engine by absorbing carbon buildup and debris. When you neglect an oil change, that oil saturated with dirt, and debris begins to work against you. First, small particles in the oil wreak havoc on bearings and small oil journals. If neglected for too long, oil begins to break down or coagulate, inefficiently lubricating moving parts and clogging passageways. Old oil will destroy an engine, either through bearing and part wear or oil starvation, or both at the same time. Too much wear on internal engine parts will cause the engine to fatally malfunction, sooner rather than later.
What are the other benefits of a regular oil change?
- Improved engine performance: Clean oil and a fresh air filter will keep all the important parts of your engine clean and lubricated. This creates a smoother and quieter ride. A smooth running engine has a positive effect on multiple areas of your vehicle.
- Prevents debris build-up: Older oil will stick to engine parts. This can turn into debris, clog up areas, and create build up. Changing the oil and filter regularly remove and prevent this nasty build up. If you do the majority of your driving on dirt roads you will need more regular oil changes.
- MPG: As mentioned above, regular oil changes offer up improved lubrication. Newer, cleaner oil reduces friction that can slow your engine which means you’ll end up paying more money for gas. New, clean oil also helps your engine run cooler. A cooler engine is more efficient. Anti-freeze and oil work together to cool your engine together. If one isn’t working right it negatively affects the other one.
- Cleaner emissions: Older cars, trucks, RVs, and SUVs can burn old, dirty oil which increases emissions. Dirty oil allows hydrocarbons to build up in the crankcase. If the oil is dirty the emissions levels can raise. Brand new oil is much less likely to burn and can also absorb particles which means less pollution.
- Longer engine life: Whether you live in the city, suburbs or country your engine will get dirt and debris stuck inside of it. If you change your oil there is less friction. With less friction, there is much less wear and tear. With less wear and tear means a much longer engine life. If you change your oil regularly, there is less carbon build-up. Altogether this will save you money in the long run. Replacing an engine can cost quite a bit of money.
- Other car parts: Clean, new oil doesn’t only protect the engine. It also protects other car parts that are constantly in motion. Oil lubricates the crankshaft and the connection rods. This controls the pistons from going up and down when your engine is on. The cylinder walls allow the rings to build up better compression when lubricated. The camshaft is the valve train that opens and closes the engine tank and exhaust valves. The oil keeps this lubricated and moving efficiently as well.
- Other issues: If you get a regular oil change then the other parts of your vehicle will also get checked. We offer affordable oil changes and will also check for other issues while you are here.
- Warranty: Most terms of a warranty include regular oil changes. If you don’t follow these terms it could void the contract.
Since it is a lot easier to keep an engine internally clean than it is to clean up a dirty one, and since proper lubrication is the most important aspect of engine longevity, you can see why proper oil maintenance is such a priority. Get your oil changed on time, and don’t skip the oil filter replacement. The next time your car is ready for an oil change, or any other services from brake pads to major engine issues, let the experts at Sargeant Service Center in St. Augustine, FL handle it. We’ll keep your car maintained so you can avoid breakdowns and get the most out of your car, truck, or SUV.
Content, including images, displayed on this website is protected by copyright laws. Downloading, republication, retransmission, or reproduction of the content on this website is strictly prohibited